Ho ho here we are at the biggest magazine of the year, and right on schedule is a big happy Santa Clause who has taken time out of his busy toymaking schedule to pick up a copy of his favourite magazine. Just like Santa’s sleigh, this edition is jampacked with goodies…
- The Archbishop of Canterbury shares his Christmas message of peace, love and not judging certain members of the royal family too harshly.
- Cold War Steve, who designed our cover in March – and was then asked by Time magazine to do the same – also shares his Christmas message via an exclusive image available only in The Big Issue. Prince Andrew also features in that too…
- We report on the World’s Big Sleep Out and catch up from vendors who were there on the night.
- John Bird reminds us all about why The Big Issue was set up in the first place, and why its existence is as important as ever.
- Is Housing First the best way to address homelessness? We speak to one man celebrating Christmas in his own home for the first time in 23 years.
Plus, the special Christmas dinners put on for care-experienced people.
Sabrina Hatton-Cohen is one of the country’s top firefighters but as a teenager she was homeless and sold The Big Issue in Wales. Since covering her story earlier this year, she has appeared all over the media. She tells us about what the reaction was like and her thoughts on being an official Big Issue ambassador. Being a Big Issue vendor is about more than just selling a magazine. We feature some of the life-changing happenings that vendors have been involved in throughout 2019. One of the biggest TV events of the Christmas period will be the new Gavin & Stacey special. We find out from Ruth Jones how it occurred.
The other big TV event is the new adaptation of A Christmas Carol, brought to us by Peaky Blinders writer Stephen Knight. Poverty, poor working conditions, sickness, greed – humbug! Just why do society’s problems always stay the same?
Also inside, so much more! Including the best Letters to Younger Selves (book still available), the best Changemakers, best books of the year, best cheesy Christmas films on Netflix and the winner of a prison writing competition!
We hope this one gives vendors a great magazine to sell that keeps readers old and new coming back for more…